On the Sunny Side of the Street


Day 3 of 90. Daily Artwork. 
I was on the hunt for doorways in Bellingham today.  It was a gorgeous, sunny day, casting beautiful winter shadows running southeast to northwest.  I got a bunch of reference photos as I explored some neighborhoods new to me, and some already known, all with gorgeous views of the bay.  
This house is on the west side of North Forest Street, one of the main streets just above downtown.  

When I painted this, I converted the reference photo to black and white so I could just paint the values. (No, I didn't paint on location, a bit too cold).  I already knew the house was white so all I wanted to do was get the values correct.  It's always a good exercise for me, working on values - like doing scales on the piano.

Cerulean Blue, Cobalt Blue, Quin Rose, Hansa Yellow Light, Raw Sienna, Quin Burnt Orange, Fr Ultra Blue. All the cools and warms in my palette, which is pretty limited.


Comments

Popular Posts