Japanese Dancers and Laguna Beach


Last week the Urban Sketchers went to a flower festival, or Hanamatsuri in Vista, a celebration of the Buddha's birthday.  There were traditional Japanese dancers from the age of 4 to 75 in addition to other entertainment.  This is one of the 5 year olds in full dress, made up with white face and a beautiful kimono.   


This past weekend I painted with the Laguna Plein Air Painters Association, (LPAPA).  It's a very active group, shows, paint outs, demo's and workshops all year long.  It was a hot day and very clear from the early morning on.  The event was the Annual Laguna Garden Tour.  We painted in a lovely garden overlooking the ocean, Crescent Bay, Laguna Beach.  


On the way back to San Diego I stopped at San Juan Capistrano, I found a spot in the shade in the inner courtyard and started to paint, it was late in the afternoon around 4.30, the golden hour.  The warmth and angle of the sun made for a wonderful set up.   I will paint this one again using this as a reference but I'm OK with the temperature changes between the shade vs sun, and even though I will make some adjustments this captured the brightness of the afternoon.
A last note:  I'm not Catholic, but spending time in this beautiful setting, where many before me dedicated their lives to spirituality - well I guess I was affected and the kind of elevated energy I felt was welcomed.   p.s. I found about 1/2 dozen swallow's nests!  I had a couple at my own house for a few years so it was fun to see them lodged under the old eaves here.


Comments

Popular Posts