Point Loma Lighthouse


I joined the San Diego Watercolor Society yesterday for their paint out at Cabrillo Point.  Below, right are a couple of sketches I did to start, checking proportion, line and composition.  The one on the left is the start of my painting.  I'm using a 9x12 watercolor block, by Arches, 140lb, 100% cotton.  It's easy, I just prop it on my easel, which is tilted horizontally with my palette below and I'm ready to paint.  


The photo below is a shot of the view over my left shoulder as I painted the lighthouse.  I zoomed in for this shot, so it's a bit closer here, however I could hear the waves and smell the sea, it was a fine morning all in all.


I did this quick watercolor of Bubba Watson while I was watching the Masters last Saturday.  He was leading at the end of the day, but the crowd was not far behind which made for an interesting Sunday.  Great match!


Below is a still life I worked on this week, this is my 3rd version and I'm not done with this set up yet.  I like the fact that in watercolor, you can paint the same vase with flowers over and over again and it's a very different experience each time.  The flowers are gerber daisies so I just might get another week with them before they give up.  



Comments

Popular Posts