Keep on Painting!

 

Desert Morning

It has been a busy month and it's only half over.  Hope you are having a good one too!

I'm happy to share that I won 3rd place in the Little Gems Show for the piece in this poster (See Desert Morning). The show is an annual competition among plein air painters across the state of Washington.  Kathleen Dunphy (master painter) was the juror, when she was describing why she awarded my painting - well, I was one big smile.


The Annual Anacortes Arts Festival took place the first weekend of the month.  The Salish Sea Plein Air Painters, (to which I also belong) participate in this festival every year.  As "working artists" of the festival, we paint among the crowd as well as hang our work in our booth.  This year I sold two paintings at the fair, one right off the easel (Anacortes Ferry Dock, above) and another framed piece.  

Tulip Fields 

I've been trying out a new surface - Aquaboard which is fun and results in colors that pop (See Tulip Fields).  I like it but I don't know that it takes the place of paper, it's just fun to play a new instrument.  Plus, I like hot press paper which is what I used to paint this scene from Siena (see Sauntering in Siena), hot press also makes for very vivid colors.  This reference photo is from a trip I took in 2017.  I did a day trip from Florence to Siena and somewhere down this way was a woman selling beautifully woven Italian cloth.  I really wanted to buy some but I just didn't have room in my backpack.  I hope to go back one day and find that shop.

 

Sauntering in Siena

I paint just about every day, and at least 2 times a week on location.  I live in a region that is filled with picturesque and dramatic landscapes, so you just have to paint, and keep on painting.

Comments

Popular Posts