Pumpkins and Persimmons


This is about the fourth variation on this composition. Sixth if I include the still life composition I had set up on the dining room table and changed a couple of times.  Finally I found another pumpkin the right size (the one in front of the flowers), and I grabbed some persimmons while I was at it.  I then moved everything to my work table out back, in my studio.  I painted an arrangement last night and it just wasn't right.  The composition was not good and the colors were all too saturated.  So I kept re-arranging it in my head during the day, while in meetings, and sketching the ideas in my notes until I got something I liked.  And - in addition I wanted to try to paint it monochromatically.  A friend from Ireland was in San Diego this weekend and after we painted a couple of paintings at Sunset Cliffs we got a bite to eat and continued to talk art.  We talked about doing value studies, (black and white) in watercolor so I thought I'd try. (This is very useful in oil). I used only Burnt Sienna for the whole painting.  Of course the pumpkins are orange, the leaves are green, the persimmons are ochre and the flowers in the dark blue pot are violet magenta.  But I am rather pleased with the dramatic results of just using one color.  And I hope you feel the fall with the sepia like hue.


Comments

Popular Posts